Thursday, January 10, 2013

Post Surgery update

I realized I never updated about the epidural/spinal headache I experienced.  It was bad! The epidural being taken out was brutal for my pain, and it was tough to get a pain med regimen that worked.  What it also caused was major headaches.  I seemed to only get the headaches everytime I walked or sat up, in the upright position.  I googled this and sure enough epidruals can cause headaches due to spinal fluid leaking with the epidural being taken out. I have never had a migrane but I imagine this is what it feels like.  So, I requested this be reported because the nurse sort of  "blew it off" but I knew it wasn't normal. The anesthesiologist said in rare cases we can do a blood patch (and this is what I read on google) and bam this fixed the headaches!

It's 13 days since I had the surgery. And I must say I am feeling a lot better! I still have good days and bad days.  I went and got staples removed Monday 1/7.  That took away a lot of the pain I was experiencing.  I still have the small incision where the stoma was located and it is a little more gaping than the other one. 

Here were the incisions before staples were removed on January 3.
 2E5DEB94-D359-4C5B-BEEA-BC3979C5A1C9-4104-000002450380F213.jpg

Here were the inisions from after staples were removed on January 9.
 F110DFD1-4E6C-4581-AE96-941FF5FB1479-13291-000008AEC19106FF.jpg

I have to closely monitor the little incision on the left to make sure it doesn't open any further.  I am still on the pain meds but not taking them as often.  Also supplementing with Ibuprofen

I am thankful to still have another month off, but worried that maybe I won't need the full month and will get bored.  Yet I am not looking forward to working again. 

I am looking forward to running again and spinning.  I want to run a half marathon June 2. However, not ready for the comments and disapprovals from people about running.  I am obviously waiting until I am healed and I get the OK from my doctor. But even if I do, there will be people that think I'm running too soon, too often, and think I won't take it easy.

I know these people mean well but I honestly know what my body can and cannot do.  My body lets me know if I start to work too hard, so I hate to be reminded to "take it easy", or "be careful". I just take offense to it, and it already started yesterday.  I am not working out yet and AM taking it easy but my sister asked if I was taking it easy after she asked how I was feeling and I said "the morning sucked, the afternoon was a little better". OF COURSE I am taking it easy!!!!!!

I heard this constantly from people after I started to get back to working out post partum and after everything happened last year. It gets really annoying, to have people breathing down my neck about taking it easy while just trying to get back to normal.  I am not going to go kill myself when just getting back to working out or anything.  I know to take it easy, and I do not overdo it.

I know this is ridiculous to get upset about, but I just can't take it sometimes.  I feel as if people don't agree with my running and working out.  Most people in my real life don't workout as often so it is hard for them to understand my dedication.  I know I have this addiction but it has been a huge part of my life for so long that I know what to do and what not to do.  I wish I could just not care what people think but when I feel like I'm being looked down upon for this it is frustrating.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch! I hate staples! Your looking very good though! your body is healing well! Like you said you know your body just take your time when your ready to heal up and your doctor gives you the go ahead go for it!! Ive had many surgerys like you and understand the whole knowing your body everyone heals differant! Your doing great and i hope you get to do that marathon this summer!!! good luck!

    ReplyDelete