Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Hair Loss post pregnancy

Since about mid-October, I have been losing a SIGNIFICANT amount of hair.  I used to have thick hair that I loved, and now it keeps falling out in CLUMPS...I have read and heard from others that this is a normal post-partum symptom.  However I have also read it can be a thyroid issue.  I'm currently waiting on the lab slip that was mailed to me to go get my thyroid tested, but in September it was normal at 1.07 (TSH).  I have been taking my Thyroid meds for the most part. Sometimes I do forget but maybe it is more important to take them than I ever thought. I first thought hey, I'm not pregnant or TTC - What's the point. But I guess I will continue to take them just in case they do make a difference. 

I decided to take 4-5 handfuls of hair from my head one day and got this:



It just keeps coming. And you don't even want to see what I can gather in the morning after I've been laying on my head all night. I look like the walking dead with my hair all a mess! First, the loose hair gets tangled in with the hair actually attached.  Then I brush out the tangles and my brush is covered in hair. It's really disgusting! LOL.

So the nurse at the OB office said it's normal (what I have been reading and according to the doc) buttttt Ryan is worried something is wrong. I didn't think I had been getting any bald spots but there is a section of hair that is split off.  I don't think there is a bald spot under there but now I'm worried that this is still a bigger problem than it should be...I guess time and the tsh results will tell.

My guess is it's normal, my TSH is normal and this is going to continue for a couple more months. Everyone says it will grow back. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned!

No comments:

Post a Comment