Tuesday, July 24, 2012

29wk 5d appointment

Sooo we had our appointment today not with my regular doctor. Not the best of news, but not the worst either. I called on Friday last week due to the random cramping I get occasionally so of course this was brought up at the appointment. For the most part I feel great but sometimes do get occasional menstrual cramps or even just ovulation-type cramps that can sometimes be very painful. They last for hours many times. I cannot pinpoint whether they are due to running or not, because I've gotten these cramps on days I run or don't run! I drink so much water, and I am usually just sitting down at work when they start up. I have read that these can be braxton hicks, or could be regular contractions. But these are not timeable like a regular contraction would be so they might just be normal, which is what I'm thinking.

At the appointment she did a cervical check and an ultrasound to see where my cervix is. Everything looks good. They want to see over 2.5 for the cervix and it was over 3, but 2.71 when she pushed on my belly. So she just wants to watch this and had me schedule an appointment next week to have this done again. I am ok with this. At this point all was well... And then..

Ryan brought up the fact that I workout a lot and ok yeah I do running and spinning usually. He was simply asking if its still ok and I know he was concerned. I can't be mad at him because I was wondering the same thing, I probably just wouldn't have asked about it, lol. So of course she said to lay low for about a week or two. I don't know why I am just so freaked out about this. But I'm NOT happy. lol I just hate being told I can't do something, that I've been doing all along just fine with no problems. To be honest I was already considering taking time off from running for a few days - this past weekend resulted in me being really sore for some reason! But really wanted to do spinning. She said I could walk and swim, and I'm not seeing what the issue with spinning would be since it is just as low impact. I would take it easy and was only planning on doing a day. I listen to my body well and always know when to slow down. Plus I went spinning after I had the severe cramping on Thursday, and I didn't have any issues at all with cramping. In fact I even went running too on Saturday and still no issues. I never should have called about this cramping and considered it normal. :( I would even feel better about this if there WAS a problem with my cervix but since there is no issue I don't see the problem.

I love our little guy more than anything!! I just have to keep thinking this and that I am SO thankful to be pregnant and of course I understand the doctor's instructions and why they were given. It is not just me anymore it is me + him. I realize this I just desparately hate when there is a sudden change of plans and my schedule is interrupted when I've had a certain routine this whole pregnancy. So walking it is.  I am thankful it's only for a couple of weeks but hopefully I can get back at it after my appointment next week. 

Does this mean I'm going to be a bad mom? I hope not! Of course I want what is best for the baby!! I guess I do feel sort of selfish but is that such a bad thing? Sometimes the responses I have received from people have made me think that I am not thankful for this, or that I will be a bad mom. I just love my workout time too and I worry that this is the end when I wasn't ready for it to be.

I just feel like no one understands...It should be easy to follow dr's orders right? For me, it's really not. The whole day I just wanted to cry in a corner by myself lol. As ridic as that sounds. Some of my friends on babycenter all think I'm ridiculous and are sick of me complaining so I'm just gonna stay away for a while because it's all I want to talk about for the moment, they don't wanna hear it and its driving me crazy to keep talking about it too, but I can't help it....and this way I will avoid being lectured even more. Because I already feel this small. :(

7 comments:

  1. I don't think you are complaining too much. I totally understand how you must feel. Running and being active is a big part of your identity, and with all the changes that are happening to your body and in your life you are just trying to hang on to what makes you "you". There is nothing selfish or wrong with that! Even though I haven't been told to stop running or anything, I feel like I can relate. I was really upset on Sunday after a difficult 5 mile run where I felt like such a failure and kept thinking about what I used to be able to do. I felt like I was losing a part of myself and my life that I love so much. My husband is supportive and reminds me that I have already done a lot and should give myself credit - and you should too! It's just really tough to accept change and seeing your ability decline, even if it is for a great reason like a baby. So I totally understand why you are upset, but just remember it's only temporary. It will pass and you'll be back at it soon enough. Keep your head up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Katie! I have talked to some that have either been in the situation or understand, so I can't say NO one understands. But the people that don't understand just really don't get it. And all I wanna do is complain. lol. In retrospect it is a small thing to be worried about right now. Trying to look at the big picture but its hard. I worry too much and am taking this way too personally. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its even harder knowing that nothing is really WRONG per say, it's just a wait and see thing. Which kinda sucks to be honest!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to the gym every day with my first pregnancy, and then was suddenly put on bed rest at 34 weeks. At my twice a week appointments, the new doctor (I was previously going to a birthing center) was talking about induction, and I let out a huge sigh of relief, and said, "Good! Then I can start moving again!" to which she looked shocked and said, "Yes. AND you'll have a baby." Her tone and look suggested that I wasn't focusing on having a baby, and that it wasn't that important to me. But the thing is-- I know what it is to be able to run, and at the time, being a mom was way too abstract for me to really appreciate. Did that make me a terrible mom? I don't think so! I don't think it's possible to judge someone for something they haven't experienced yet. So you aren't a terrible mom. You've lost a big part of what makes you who you are. And it does suck! Lots of things are done for the greater good that still suck (Look at Jesus, for example...).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you, I hate being told I can't do things...that's really one of the hardest parts about pregnancy for me is all the things I can't do. I really don't think that wanting to workout will make you a terrible mom, in fact workouts are what make me a better mom :). I think you know what to do, listen to your body. Slow down if you start cramping and rest a day or 2 if needed-throw in all the low impact stuff. I'm almost 26 weeks, and the difficulties of continuing running are driving me crazy. I'm just ready to run again. And don't worry you are definitely not alone in these thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much ladies. It does help me a lot! The thing is they said no vigorous exercise and while I can understand that running is vigorous, even though I see no real reason for me to stop, I won't do it for a week. I sincerely believe it has nothing to do with the cramping I've had. Spinning is not vigorous and I just wanted to go to one class. I will be bored out of my mind if I don't go, I'm ok with walking to a point. But I love the intensity of running and if I can't do that then the next best thing is spinning, to me. It's not high impact. Anything can be vigorous if you make it that way and spinning allows you to change your intensity. So I will start out slow and go slow, if I go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am definitely not into working out but I can definitely understand getting limits put on you by doctor's because of pregnancy. I was taken off work for Matthew at 34 weeks b/c of blood pressure issues and told to take it easy (no walking long distance or excessive cleaning). It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I figured not working would be fun. I was usually bored since I wasn't allowed to do much but I knew it was the best for my baby.

    ReplyDelete