I was 30 weeks exactly on Thursday July 26, 2012. I was having some cramping all day, that started out as what felt like round ligament pains. Then it developed into stronger pains than that I thought were basic pelvic pains. But later at night, like 8pm I got to thinking these pains cannot be normal. I was doubled over in pain and crying. Then I had Ryan take me to L&D Triage.
In triage they discovered I was having contractions, and my cervix had shrunk from over 3 from 2 days ago to 2.5. They were not too worried, but I was. But on Thursday and Friday Ryan and I would end up staying in the hospital. They gave me contraction medicine to slow them down, as well as monitored the baby. They injected me with beta methazone (steroids) to protect the baby's lungs in case we did go into labor in the next couple weeks. Even though the pre-term labor test came back negative which means I would NOT go into labor.
We were sent home Saturday afternoon. I had a UTI, was given an antibiotic and was put on modified bedrest for about 4 weeks or more. However that day when we got home I also developed this very painful feeling in my tummy, in addition to my pelvic area that I thought was as a result of the UTI. I had other UTI symptoms and I assumed it was the baby positioning. It hurt to move or do much else. I thought with rest and medicine I would feel better soon.
Sunday July 29-Friday August 3
I woke up on Sunday morning at 1. I was changing position in bed when I was in excrutiating pain. Could be from the UTI, but I had tried to drink a ton of water to pee. I did pee, it did hurt but it did not get rid of all the pain. The pain seemed to rise from to my upper abdomen and just like Saturday it hurt to move so bad.
They discovered I was 1 cm dilated and cervix went down again. They weren't worried about this. But I was...I had to get some tests run like a chest x-ray and abdominal u/s. They told Ryan to go home and get some stuff since I wouldn't be going home tonight. Well, his car broke down on the highway on the way home. He idles it to the car dealership where they can hopefully look at it soon. He walks home since he couldn't get a hold of anyone. He drives my car back up. This had him super stressed, and me because I thought he would be back up there by the time my tests were done.
They find I have a collapsed lung! This was causing the breathing issues. The CT-scan showed I had air pockets in my abdomen. They think it all stemmed from the collapsed lung which really makes no sense but they have no other ideas. I think there were 4 teams of Dr’s working on my case!! The OB’s, the rectal surgeons (when they thought I might have a bowel perforation and/or needed surgery), and other people too but I dunno who.. I just know there were tons of doctors following it. And, they wouldnt let me eat solids for days with the anticipation of needing surgery and they wanted to correct my consitpation issue. But I couldn't have a bowel movement if I couldn't eat, so that made no sense to me.
Sunday morning the OB nurse staying with me noticed a mucus-blood discharge on the pad I was laying on. I had also been having back labor and didn’t know it. I just couldn’t get comfy at all in that damn hospital bed. She calls the OB down and she checks me and finds that I’m 6 cm dilated at 4:30am! Remember I was 1 cm dilated less than 24 hours later. They rush me to the OR in L&D which is where they deliver preemies. Sure enough my water broke and that baby wanted out now. I had no time for an epidural and had a tube in my chest. I still couldn’t breathe very well at this point. They kept telling me to take deep breaths but I couldn’t. Thank God I run because they told me I might not have been able to handle this as well as if I didn’t run. They did have to cut an episiotomy L but that’s the least of my worries. Baby Joshua James was born at 5:32am (that’s 1 hour in active labor) and weighed 3 lbs 6 oz, and 16.14 inches.


We were in the hospital the rest of the week because not only was I now trying to recover from labor, I also was trying to recover from this “infection” that we believe triggered the early labor. Both had caused me immense pain in my stomach area. I also had 2 more CT-Scans and did a swallow study. I was on pain meds, but after the baby was born also had to wake up at certain times and pump. Ryan had to help because I was in too much pain to get out of bed to get the stuff. He washed everything after each use, he helped me so much with everything. I cannot say enough good things about him. I love him so much!! He hated seeing me in so much pain. I just wanted to get back to my normal self.
Now that I am back to my normal self,except being sore from labor, my work says my 8 week maternity leave began on the day he was born. So I have some time off now but my baby is in the NICU for 6-8 weeks L I was trying to be able to take disability for 6 weeks then maternity leave but that’s not in the “policy”. We have our situation escalated up in HR and haven’t heard anything back yet. We do not have high hopes though. I just want an appropriate amount of time home with him before I have to go back.
We still also need to find a daycare, and I haven't even had any of my baby showers yet. Due to my situation my post-partum OB appointment is in 2 weeks, not the normal 6 weeks. I also need to schedule another chest x-ray
Nicole! This story is so intense. It is good that you are such a strong person because you handled everything so well. First, I am so glad that you and the baby are doing well. You have a strong little baby from all the running that you did while pregnant so I know he will be just fine! Second,I can't believe that about your maternity leave. Have you looked into the FMLA laws? I was told that if there is a medical reason you can have longer than 8 weeks under FMLA but it won't be paid. You do have a medical reason - first you need to recover yourself and then when the baby comes home you need to take care of him and his needs. I really hope that your HR department works that out for you. It is not fair. I've never really thought about what happens with maternity leave when you have a premie. I wish I lived closer so I could come help you with all that you need to do, but it sounds like your husband is awesome and is doing so much. Please keep us updated and keep your head up. Your baby is beautiful!!!
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, Joshua James is SO handsome. He also looks so strong in his picture-- way to go, Mama!
ReplyDeleteSecond-- I have to echo what runinspired said. FMLA would definitely cover you for this ordeal if you work at a business that qualifies for FMLA. Have someone in your HR department figure it out for you-- you shouldn't have to spend any of your eight weeks advocating for this when it's their job.
Third-- do you have family nearby? Do you need any help with getting things in the hospital? I know that when friends of mine are in the hospital for their child to receive medical care, we have rounded up donations of gift cards to Subway and magazines/books to send so the parents are taken care of while they tend to their child. I'd be happy to do this for you if you need it.
Fourth-- Way to be a runner, Mama. Way to put up with the suck. Your child is already so blessed for it!
Thank you both! We have thought about fmla too and we may be using some of it but we can't afford to not get paid for 12 weeks. The plan for now is to use 8 weeks maternity leave then use up some vacation time I have, and may use 2 weeks of fmla to make it 12 weeks total. If he comes home at 6 weeks that gives me 6 weeks with him.
ReplyDeleteMy main issue is trying to control my pain. I am in so much pain. I think because I am pumping and my uterus is trying to shrink down. I don't know how long this will last but it hurts to do anything. They only sent me home on Tylenol and ibuprofen which is never enough. I have bad period cramps too so that's what I am experiencing.
I just want to feel normal again and be able to move and do things. But I am incredibly sore which makes me cry more. I know it takes time, I just have a hard time believing everyone feels this kind of pain after birth. Even my thighs hurt, they just feel so weak.
Oh my goodness, just wow. You are SO strong! Congrats on being amazing, things will get better! And congrats again, you have a beautiful baby boy :)
ReplyDelete