Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Surgery day 1/2/18

Happy New Year! I got to start my year out drinking two bottles of magnesium citrate as prescribed by my Doctor because they would be getting close to the colon and wanted to make sure I was completely cleared out. I also was on a clear liquid diet after noon on New Years Day.

I got a call at 6pm stating that they could move my surgery up again! It wasn't supposed to be until 1 on Jan 2 but they moved it to 9:30.

Surgery day came and I did some PiYo in the basement to work off some of the jitters. I think I could have ran but didn't want to burn too many calories since I hadn't had any food, but was ironically not even hungry. Nerves?! I also knew that I wouldn't be able to workout for at least 6 weeks. I was kind of worried about this since I was just doing my weight lifting program and loving it and trying to gain some muscle! Oh well, it would have to wait and I'll start the program up again in spring. Also, I was hoping this break would force me to rest my running injuries and maybe they could get better and I'll do some calf raises in order to strengthen my achilles.  

We had to be at the hospital at 7:30 for pre-op. My husband, my son, my dad and his fiance Holly were all there. My sister showed up later in the day. People love me. lol. I also had lots of visitors during my stay and had gifts brought to me by some amazing friends Jen, Holli, and Cammie. Dominic and Laura came up on day 2 and took Joshua out to dinner with them. Woohoo. 

I got out of surgery and woke up in my room. Good ole 327.. They hoped to keep it laparoscopic but they ended up having to open me down the middle, again. They found severe endometriosis, adenomyosis, and couldn't find my left ovary. Adenomyosis was something I think that happened in the last year because my periods had gotten 10x more painful. It also causes lots of bleeding and spotting. The only way to diagnose and cure this is through a hysterectomy!  Apparently ovaries can diminish over time and mine may have been scooped up with scar tissue because they completely missed it. lol. 

Day 1 of surgery waking up was recovering from the anesthesia. It was awful. I needed several different anti-nausea medications! I dry heaved multiple times. Pain wasn't that bad because I had a Dilaudid pain pump and a TAP block done after surgery which numbed the area for 12-16 hours.

Day 2 post op is when the TAP block started to wear off and they took away my pain pump to transition me to oral pain meds. Well, it wasn't long before my pain was up to a 10+ and that was mostly in the evening so they had to check with the doctor on call to increase my pain meds back up to using dilaudid. The stuff is amazing lol. but by morning my pain started to go down a bit. 

Day 3 post op is when I got to go home. They knicked my bladder during surgery so I got the pleasure of wearing a catheter home and had it for a week. 

The rest of the week was awful in recovery! It hurt to turn in bed or anytime I needed to use my abdomen. What a pain that catheter was too, but it also meant I didn't need to get up to pee when I was in the most pain. 

Day 6 post op, or January 9, is when I got my catheter and staples removed which was really painful! I had 31 staples and each one seemed to be really deep into my skin.

Today is 2 weeks post op and I have been walking at least a mile since Thursday, 10 days post op. Overall feeling really good and today I'm going to aim for 2 miles. I think walking is good and proving to be effective in the healing process.

January 3rd.


January 6th

Image may contain: one or more people and closeup

January 14th

Image may contain: one or more people

Image may contain: 1 person, standing and phone

January 15th. 

Image may contain: one or more people

No comments:

Post a Comment