Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Long time no write!

Well, things have been nothing short of awesome! I am feeling amazing and pretty much, no make that 100% back to normal!

My half marathon is in a couple of weeks. Training has been going pretty well.  However I ran a 10k (Burns Park Run) on May 5 and have unfortunately realized that I will not likely get even close to my PR for my half.  My 10k time was a 59:13, which is only about 3-4 minutes slower what I would consider good (for me).  The time is not terrible by any means. My Half marathon PR is 1:59 (on a flat course).  My half PR for this course is 2:02. Two years ago, I ran a 2:04. I am mostly terrified of the hills in this race. They aren't nice! Now I just hope I can manage 10 minute miles or under which would equal a 2:11 half marathon time.

I also ran 10 miles this past Saturday as a training run. Now I know I ran 10, but I also ran a 5k for Mother's Day in 29:14.  This time would normally be considered "bad" too.  I remember my goal pre-baby was just trying to get under a 25 minute 5k.

However... I have to think of how far I have come right??? I mean, come on. After a short 14 months of TTC, we FINALLY became pregnant in January 2012...I happily ran up to 29 weeks preggo, delivered Joshua naturally at 30w 4d with a CHEST TUBE because I had a collapsed lung.  From where? No one knew yet. I then had emergency surgery a week later because they found a HOLE in my colon from the lovely endometriosis that ate a hole through it!  From that surgery I had to have a colostomy for the next FIVE months. Also, I had air pockets in my abdomen that were created from the hole in the colon, which also created the collapsed lung.  I was in the ER 4 times within 3 weeks in August 2012 while Joshua was housed in the NICU.  I came back at one point because after the surgery on August 7, I had tons of pain still so they had to insert a drainage tube to drain out the infection that developed.  For 3 weeks at home I had a PICC line to administer Zosyn, a very powerful antibiotic to kill the infection.  I had to have a home care nurse come out to help me...

Finally had the reversal surgery December 28 so no more ostomy bag.  However apparently my left tube is ruined according to my OB who was in on the procedure with the General Surgeon.  So TTC may again be a challenge when/if we go for #2!

So.. do I really need to worry about my running times and pace? Probably  not. But it's a little discouraging. Not gonna lie. I have done occasional speed work, but its like my legs just don't have those fast-twitch fibers anymore! Not that I was SUPER DUPER fast before, but I thought it was good for me. Now I just feel SLOWWWWWWW.

I also am crazy and signed up for the CRIM 10 miler August 24, and a SECOND half marathon for the year, on Sepember 22! So three major races. I have overcome so much, I guess that I just want to prove to myself that I really can do anything. 

Also still contining to spin once per week. That is a tough task to do when training for a half! It really shouldn't be- but for some reason my legs can't take so much! But I'm doing it, and as long as I don't get injured I am happy.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment