We got to the hospital around 10:30 and signed in at the first reception desk. Then they led us upstairs where I signed in at the surgery reception desk. Then, we waited about 1/2 hour in the waiting room. I finally went back around just after 11 and got prepped for surgery. First took a pregnancy test... can you guess, it was negative??! I had to pretty much go over all of my information multiple times (birthdate, name, do not smoke, not an alcoholic, do not have diabetes, do not have asthma, or heart or liver issues etc etc). I then put my gown on, and they inserted my IV when I was laying down.
The nurse tried inserting the IV in my right arm but the numbing stuff started to not work when she started inserting. So she moved to the left arm. I got that inserted when the anesthesiologist came to talk to me and I had to sign a consent form. I waited some more while they went to get my husband to come back and sit with me. Then the anesthesiologist nurse came back to talk to me. Went over the same information (above) one more time. Everyone kept saying "you're so healthy and thin, you make this too easy!" Well...that should be a good thing lol. Waited some more for the doctor to come in, probably waited about 45 minutes. That was a long, agonizing wait because I was bored, and thought I was going to be sick due to lack of food or drink all day. I started texting my dad, and my girls from Babycenter. :) Finally the doctor came and talked to me and my husband about the procedure, asked how I'm doing, etc. My husband said he really liked the doctor, too. The exact name of the surgery was the Da Vinci Robotic Surgery for Endometriosis.
I remember going into the surgery room around 1 or so, then I glanced at the clock when in the recovery room and I thought it said 5:15. But Ryan said the surgery was done at 4:30. Still longer than anyone expected. The longer the surgery means the more they find.
Result? They found lots of endo (maybe severe) in my left Fallopian tube, left ovary and left side of my uterus. Also he removed a cyst and performed another HSG just to ensure my tubes are not blocked. He also told my husband that there was so much endo that my tube and ovary were stuck to my bowels and bladder. The doc was able to remove from bowels but not the bladder because it started to bleed.
In the recovery room I was in a ton of pain right after surgery. They gave me some vicodin that I ended up throwing up because I had an empty stomach. We finally got home around 8pm. Doc says I should take both Monday and Tuesday off. I can see Monday, but do I really need Tuesday off too? Yeah I'm sore right now at home but it's not unbearable. Possibly, I will just wait and see how I feel.
At my pre-op we scheduled my post-op for just 1 week after surgery but according to my discharge notes, it needs to be 2 weeks and this is what I have read as well. Not sure if the doc got dates messed up but I will be calling on Monday to see for sure when he wants me in.
I did not use anything I brought with me. I was not hungry when I was done so did not eat my lunch. I probably could have used the cough drops but forgot I had them. Didn't use the GasX, and the pillow didn't really help that much for the ride home.
I did not sleep very well at home, but probably because they had me asleep all afternoon yesterday! The whole night, it was a fight to stay awake and when I finally had the chance to sleep I couldn't. I did finally sleep from 5am to 7am. I will probably be napping throughout the day. We get to watch football allllll day :) GO BLUE! Playing Michigan State today. They better winnnnnnnnn...
No comments:
Post a Comment